The Bonneville is one of the most iconic names in motorcycle history and the T100 is the most popular Bonneville model available now. The T100 is part of Triumphs “Modern classics” range that is designed to attract both young and old. The old school style mixed with plenty of contemporary technologies is what the T100 all about.
This weekend we at Tech’nWheelz rode the Bonneville T100. Here are our impressions.
At a glance
Model: Bonneville T100
Triumph launched the first Bonneville 15 years ago, the Bonneville 790, at the Munich Motorcycle Show in September 2000, with a 790 cc parallel-twin engine. The Bonneville T100, was launched as an uprated version styled by John Mockett and David Stride and is the most popular Bonneville model. All Bonneville models now feature a version of the 865cc parallel twin engine from T100, which replaces the 790cc version in the most basic Bonneville models.
T100, as the name suggests, can do the staggering speed of 100 mph (160 km/h) , the true ton. Bonneville was the world’s fastest motorcycle at the end of the sixties and it is this image Triumph has refreshed with the T100. Bonneville (Bonneville Speedway) is located in Utah, USA and many a land-speed record has been set on those salt plains.
The engine features double electrically heated carburettors. Triumph added an air injection unit near the spark plug to achieve emission regulations. In 2008 the T100 (like all Bonneville based models) was further updated with fuel injection to meet new Euro 3 emissions legislation. To retain the ‘retro’ styling the fuel injectors are hidden behind throttle bodies designed to resemble carburettors.
- Engine: Air-Cooled, DOHC, Parallel-Twin, 360º Firing Interval
- Displacement: 865cc
- System: Multipoint Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection
- Max Power: 60.7PS @ 7500rpm
- Max Torque: 61.1NM @ 5551rpm
- Exhaust: Stainless Steel Headers, Twin Chromed Silencers.
- Gearbox: 5-Speed
- Final Drive: X Ring Chain
- Tank Capacity: 16 Liters
- Wet Weight: 230 kg
- Dry Weight: 214 kg
- The seating position is upright and comfortable.
- The dry weight is a claimed 214 kilos, but the T100 does not feel too heavy, rather solid.
- The seat is long enough to share a comfortable ride with a pillion.
- A bike with loaded with bundles of character.
- Clutch is light to operate.
- Disc brakes are powerful, but never scary.
- 865cc parallel twin engine pumps out a healthy 60.7PS. It also gives 61.1Nm of torque at its peak, with plenty available at low revs. It is really user-friendly.
- The engine pulls smoothly throughout the rev range delivers more punch than enough for both city rides and open highways.
- Minimal vibrations for a parallel twin. Thanks to balance shafts tucked inside the crankcase.
- Old school design
- Simple tubular steel construction
- Sturdy and reliable
How much to pay:
- For a new bike: Rs 6,97,610.00 (Ex Showroom Delhi)
- For a used bike: NA*
- Insurance: Rs 15000/-* per year
- Servicing: Rs 5000/- *
- Triumph provides 2-year unlimited mileage warranty on your Triumph bike and Genuine Accessories plus a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty on replacement parts. The Bonneville T100 carries 10,000km service intervals.
(* The prices are indicative)
ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION
- Type: Air-cooled, DOHC, parallel-twin, 360º firing interval
- Capacity: 865cc
- Bore: 90mm
- Stroke: 68mm
- System: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection with SAI
- Exhaust: Stainless steel headers, twin chromed silencers.
- Final drive: X ring chain
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox: 5-speed
- Oil capacity: 4.5L
CHASSIS RUNNING GEAR AND DISPLAYS
- Frame: Tubular steel cradle
- Swing arm: Twin-sided, tubular steel
- Front wheels: 36-spoke 19 x 2.5in
- Rear wheels 40-spoke 17 x 3.5in
- Front tyre: 100/90-19
- Rear tyre: 130/80 R17
- Front suspension: Kayaba 41mm forks, 120mm travel
- Rear suspension: Kayaba chromed spring twin shocks with adjustable preload, 106mm rear wheel travel
- Brakes front: Single 310mm disc, Nissin 2-piston floating caliper
- Brakes rear: Single 255mm disc, Nissin 2-piston floating caliper
DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITIES
- Lenght: 2230mm
- Handlebar width: 740
- Height without mirror: 1100mm
- Seat height: 775mm
- Wheelbase: 1500mm
- Rake: 28º
- Trail: 110mm
- Tank capacity: 16l
- Wet weight: 230 kg
- Dry weight: 214 kg
- Max power: 60.7PS @ 7500
- Max power ECKW: 44.7KW @ 7500
- Max torque: 61.1NM @ 5551