At this year’s New York Auto Show, Mazda unveiled the MX-5 RF. The RF (Retractable Fastback) is something different though, with a streamlined silhouette and an electronically-operated targa roof that tucks elegantly into the rear clamshell. The result is arguably the most visually compelling Miata ever to roll out of a Mazda factory.
Beautiful fastback styling that resonates with any car lover
- Appealing fastback styling with a beautiful smooth line joining the roof to the rear end.
- Cabin gets perfect teardrop shape.
- It features the same compact packaging as the soft-top model, including overall length, width and wheelbase. (Overall height is increased 5mm.).
- The soft touch of real Nappa leather adds a feeling of even higher quality and contributes to the relaxed, sophisticated ambience of the interior.
- The MX-5 RF’s retractable hardtop consists of a front roof, middle roof, rear roof and back window glass.
- The model’s unique design featuring a back window glass that retracts when the top is down enables the driver to fully enjoy the exhaust note coming from the rear, helping to deliver the true pleasure of the open-top driving experience.
- A large acrylic aero board wind blocker helps prevent air from the rear blowing back into the cabin.
- Synchronizing and overlapping the various movements of the roof sections enables MX-5 RF to achieve one of the fastest opening/closing times of any retractable hardtop.
- When the roof is open, the front and middle roof sections are stowed together with the back window glass in the space behind the seats.
- A power top lock makes it possible to open and close the roof with the simple flip of a switch.
- A new control system enables the roof to be opened or closed, even when in motion at speeds of 6 mph (10km/h) or less. This is particularly useful if it suddenly begins to rain.
- At 4.6 cubic feet (130L DIN), trunk capacity is the same as the soft-top model, even when the roof is stowed behind the seats. The trunk can accommodate two carry-on bags measuring 550mm x 400mm x 220mm
Ride Quality and Comfort
- The suspension and Electric Power Assist Steering (EPAS) system delivers the lively driving performance one expects of the Mazda MX-5 while also delivering relaxing comfort and refined ride.
- A sound-absorbing headliner used on the inside of the front and middle roof panels combines with sound insulation around the rear wheel housings to result in a significantly quieter ride when the roof is closed. This helps provide a high-quality cabin environment worthy of the MX-5 RF.
Other noteworthy product features are as follows.
- The powertrain lineup consists of the 2.0- and 1.5-liter SKYACTIV-G gasoline engines paired with either a six-speed SKYACTIV-MT manual transmission or six-speed automatic transmission
- A human-centric perspective was adopted in pursuing advanced safety based on the company’s safety philosophy, Mazda Proactive Safety.
- The i-ACTIVSENSE2 advanced safety technologies employed by MX-5 RF include Mazda’s Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM*3) system and High Beam Control System (HBC), which Mazda MX-5 RFMazda MX-5 RFautomatically switches between high and low beam.
- MAZDA CONNECT4 makes it less distracting and easier to take advantage of phone and internet connectivity services while enjoying a drive.