Yamaha MT-09 was very well known for its menacing looks. So gone are the iconic and angry-looking twin-pod headlamps. What we get in the 2021 Yamaha MT-09 is a single-pod LED headlamp which is accompanied by LED DRLs on either side.
For the 2021 model, Yamaha has added more power to please the enthusiasts. The inline-triple’s displacement is up to 890cc from 847cc. This motor is capable of delivering 115 bhp of maximum power at 10,000 rpm and 93 Nm of peak torque at 7,000 rpm. The compression ratio, fuel delivery system, and transmission (six-speed, multiplate assist and slipper clutch) are also unchanged.
In terms of styling, apart from the single-pod LED headlamp, Yamaha has also tweaked the side view of the new MT-09. The side panels are absent which let you have a glimpse of a few parts and components. Perhaps, this has been done to make the motorcycle look more raw and brutal. All this has also helped Yamaha to ensure that the new MT-09 is fitter than its predecessor. Thanks to the new aluminium frame, sub-frame, and swingarm, the 2021 Yamaha MT-09 weighs 189 kg (kerb).
- 17-inch dual-star wheels front and back
- KYB suspension – fully adjustable front forks and preload and rebound adjustable rear monoshock
- 298mm discs at the front and a single 245mm disc at the back, both equipped with the ABS accompanied by Nissin callipers
- 6-axis IMU that offers lean-sensitive traction control, slide control, cornering ABS and rear-wheel lift mitigation
- 3.5-inch fully-colour and fully-digital instrument cluster
The 2021 Yamaha MT-09 gets three colour options – Icon Blue, Storm Fluo, and Tech Black. While the deliveries of the new naked motorcycle in the European markets will start from March 2021, the arrival of the latest MT-09 in India should happen sometime in the first half of next year.