Volkswagen officially revealed their first sub-4 metre sedan-the Ameo in India. The Ameo will be available for showcase at the 2016 Delhi Auto Expo. The car is expected to go on sale in India in the second half of 2016.
The Volkswagen Ameo will be a part of the four new launches the company has planned in the next 15 months.
Under the hood, the Volkswagen Ameo will powered by a 1.2 litre MPI petrol engine that churns out 74bhp, 110Nm and a 1.5 litre diesel producing 88.7bhp,230Nm as seen on Polo hatchback. Transmission duties will e taken care of Volkswagen’s signature DSG unit.
Volkswagen Ameo is the first car from the manufacturer that has been specifically designed for the Indian car market and is likely to have the highest percentage of localization compared to any other Volkswagen cars sold in India.
Features of Volkwagen Ameo
- The front end of identical to the Polo hatchback
- Side profile similar to that of Vento
- Interior of the car is also inspired from the Polo hatchback and Vento sedan
- Ameo comes from the Latin word ‘Amo’ which means ‘I love’.
- The car is designed on the PQ24 platform of the Polo and the Vento
- Rain sensing wipers
- Cruise control
- Touchscreen infotainment system with Mirror link and I-pod connectivity
- “Climatronic” automatic AC
- Cooled glove box
- Electronically controlled ORVM
- Safety features like ABS and dual airbags as standard feature across all variants
- Rear view camera with parking sensor
- Lane change indicator
- Electronic anti-theft immobilizer
Volkswagen will be pricing the Ameo competitively. The Ameo is likely to launch in the later half of the year and will take on the likes of Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Honda Amaze, Hyundai Xcent and the Ford Figo Aspire.