The Land Rover Explore smartphone, inspired by Land Rover Discovery 4×4s ‘go anywhere’ adventurous spirit, is capable of operating and navigating in extreme conditions.
At the heart of the Land Rover Explore is a powerful 4000mAh battery that gives two days of typical use, or a full day of activites, with constant GPS Navigation mapping activated on the 5” HD display. Battery life can also be doubled by adding the included Adventure Pack while on the go. Once added, it can replace the need for a separate GPS device with its GPS patch antenna that improves the reliability and accuracy of the GPS. It also adds additional 3600 mAh of battery power and premium topographic mapping with Skyline augmented reality, courtesy of ViewRanger.
The Land Rover Explore withstands everyday use outdoors with exceptional durability. It is drop tested to 1.8 metres with a factory fitted screen protector, it can survive underwater, including salt water complying to IP68 rating and can cope with extreme temperatures, thermal shock, humidity and vibration exposure. This level of protection ensures the device can survive heavy downpours or a muddy trail and will continue to work, keeping users connected at all times.
The home screen features a customisable Outdoor Dashboard for instant access to weather condition information and sensor data from the device. It can be set up to show the details most relevant to any activity at a glance. Separately, the Explore Hub is a curated app portal, with a content catalogue relevant to many outdoor activities, as well as the Land Rover InControl apps. Plus, small features like a handy SOS flashlight and a Night red filter mode to reduce screen glare, help to ensure the Land Rover Explore is perfect for everyone with a passion for the outdoors.
Notable features also include a bright 5-inch full HD screen that’s optimised for sunlight legibility, while the touchscreen can be controlled with wet fingers or while wearing gloves. Improved connectivity options are provided by a dual SIM feature, giving users the ability to connect to two networks.
The Land Rover Explore launches with the Adventure Pack, bringing GPS handheld capabilities to the smartphone straight out of the box with an MSRP of €649 / £599 / INR 54,497 approx. It will be available to order from April 2018 via www.landroverexplore.com and selected retailers and operators.
The Land Rover Explore will be on display at Mobile World Congress (stand CS78) followed by the Geneva Motor Show, 8th-18th March.
Land Rover Explore outdoor phone specifications
- Huge battery (4000mAh) plus add-on battery pack
- IP68 splash, water and dust resistance
- Drop-proof to 1.8 metres with factory-fitted screen protector
- Premium grade, detailed off-road topographical mapping options from ViewRanger with Augmented Reality Skyline feature
- In-box premium off-road mapping voucher, giving a choice of country-wide or custom region topographical maps in many markets.
- Customisable outdoor dashboard to access to the most important weather information, sensor data, and on-device tools for your activity: eg weather, wind, tides, compass, SOS light
- Android Nougat OS, with scheduled upgrade to Oreo
- 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM, expandable via microSD
- Deca-core 2.6GHz 64 bit MTK Helio X27 chipset with dual SIM functionality
- 16MP rear camera, 8MP front camera, 4x digital zoom
- Bright five-inch FHD display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protected, optimised for outdoor use
- Touchscreen can be controlled with gloves on or with wet fingers
- Night red filter mode reduces screen glare, preserving natural vision in low light and at night
- LTE Cat 6
- Curated apps and content catalogue relevant to outdoor pursuits
Adventure Pack specification
- 3600mAh additional battery
- 25 x 25mm ceramic patch GPS antenna
- TPU protective case
- Stainless steel carabiner with canvas strap
- IP68 and 1.8-metre drop tested
Bike Pack specification
- Bike mount and case for both stem and handlebar
- Tilt to adjust viewing angle or change device orientation
Battery Pack specification
- Ultimate battery performance, additional 4,370 mAh of battery capacity
- IP68 and 1.8-metre drop tested