The Ford S-MAX and Galaxy have been awarded the maximum 5-star safety rating by independent crash test authority Euro NCAP. The S-MAX and Galaxy are offered for the first time with second-row seat side-airbags for additional passenger side-impact protection, and also offer first and second-row seatbelt pre-tensioners with load limiters to further enhance rear passenger safety. In addition, S-MAX and Galaxy gets Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection technology that can reduce the severity of some frontal collisions involving vehicles and pedestrians.
BRENTWOOD, UK, Sept. 7, 2015 – The all-new Ford S-MAX sports activity vehicle and Galaxy people mover have been awarded the maximum 5-star safety rating by independent crash test authority Euro NCAP.
The technologically advanced S-MAX and Galaxy are offered for the first time with second-row seat side-airbags for additional passenger side-impact protection, and also offer first and second-row seatbelt pre-tensioners with load limiters to further enhance rear passenger safety.
Both vehicles use ultra-high strength hydro-formed steel in the A-pillars, B-pillars and roof rails for enhanced side impact performance.
In addition, S-MAX and Galaxy offer Ford’s sophisticated Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection technology that can reduce the severity of some frontal collisions involving vehicles and pedestrians, or even help drivers avoid some impacts altogether.
“As Euro NCAP’s 5-star standards climb higher, Ford vehicles continue to reach the organisation’s stringent expectations for crash protection,” said Roelant de Waard, vice president, Marketing, Sales & Service, Ford of Europe. “Both our all-new S-MAX and Galaxy deliver sophisticated safety features including our new Pre-Collision Assist technology to provide exceptional protection for drivers, passengers and pedestrians alike.”
New second-row seat side-airbags for the S‑MAX and Galaxy join driver and front-passenger, driver-knee, and first-, second- and third-row curtain airbags. Seatbelt minders feature for all three rows of seats in the Galaxy and for the S-MAX when specified with seven seats – helping parents ensure children remain safely buckled in. The use of hydro-formed steel contributes to a three per cent increase in body strength.
S-MAX and Galaxy offer technologies that can help drivers avoid incidents, including:
- Front Split View Camera, which displays to the driver a wide-angle view from the front of the car, using a video camera in the grille. At a blind junction or exiting a driveway, the camera enables drivers to easily spot approaching vehicles, pedestrians or cyclists
- Blind Spot Information System that helps drivers detect vehicles in their blind spot when changing lanes
- Lane Keeping Aid, which knows if a driver changes lanes without indicating and will alert them by vibrating the steering wheel and showing a visual warning in the dash
- Lane Keeping Alert, which reacts to a vehicle drifting out of lane and will apply torque to the vehicle’s steering wheel to safely pull it back into the correct lane
- SYNC 2 with Emergency Assistance, a voice-activated technology that enables drivers to keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel, and can directly connect vehicle occupants to local emergency services operators after an accident
Vehicle stability is enhanced with Curve Control and Roll Stability Control systems that adjust engine torque and braking to help drivers maintain control, and the all-new S-MAX and Galaxy also support drivers in town and on the highway with advanced technologies including:
- Intelligent Speed Limiter, which combines the functionality of available Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Cruise Control features, and when activated scans traffic signs and adjusts the throttle to help drivers stay within legal speed limits to avoid fines
- Glare-Free Highbeam for the adaptive LED headlamps, which detects vehicles ahead and fades out light that could dazzle oncoming drivers, while retaining maximum illumination for other areas
The Ford S-MAX and Galaxy are now on sale in the UK, with S-MAX pricing starting from £24,545 and Galaxy from £26,445.